Re: Windows 9X crash

From: Jussi Lahdenniemi
Subject: Re: Windows 9X crash
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 11:35:20 +0200

On 15.1.2016 10.08, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Right, this can explain everything.  It probably means that a build
configured --with-wide-int should also be tested there, as it has
different alignment needs.

I'll test that as well, then.

How should we fix this?  I can write and test the fix, but I'd like to
hear your opinion on the preferred mechanism.

What fix did you have in mind?  Over-allocating and recording the
offset in the initial part of the block that we don't pass to the
application?

That was my first idea, yes. Of course, this introduces some memory overhead, especially if there are many small allocations.

A proposal patch is attached. Reallocs needed some additional care, as there are two special cases to handle (source being in dumped memory, and source and destination alignments mismatching).

--
Jussi Lahdenniemi