Re: tags-loop-continue

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tags-loop-continue
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 21:48:41 -0500

>> Couldn't we have a global boolean var (call it `M-,-should-use-xref')
>> and then set it to t whenever an xref command is used, and set it to nil
>> whenever a command that could interact with etags-loop-continue is used?
> The idea behind using tags-loop-continue is that the user can call
> tags-search, get to the first match, mess around in whatever way she wants
> there, then call tags-loop-continue to advance to the second match, and
> so on.
> There's no reason to assume that "messing around" won't include calling some
> xref command.  And then tags-loop-continue will be broken.

Presumably if the user uses both xref and etags-search, then she knows
about both meanings of M-, and she should hence "intuitively"
understand that there's a conflict.

For that specific case, we could let the user use C-u M-, in order to
specify which of the two commands to use.

Admittedly, I'm not sure this assumption that "the user will intuitively
know that there's a conflict" holds.

Maybe we'd be better off keeping M-, for tags-loop-continue for now and
use M-* for xref-pop-marker-stack.  It at least has the benefit of
reducing the differences between 24.5 and 25.1.
So it can be seen as an intermediate step and in 26.1 we could get rid
of tags-loop-continue (assuming we figure out how) and move
xref-pop-marker-stack to M-,

        Stefan