Re: forward-sexp when on a floating point number

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: forward-sexp when on a floating point number
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2016 21:08:30 -0800

> Lexing via FSM is "standard" in the world of computer languages, so I'm
> pretty sure it'd be good/useful to add such functionality to Emacs's core.

If it can provide identical behavior, simpler and more efficiently, I'm happy
to swap out what we have in core. If it provides new functionality at the same
time, great. If it's just trading one difficulty for another, I'd ask for it
to develop first in ELPA.

In fact, I'd like to push back a bit on the rate of changes made to core in
recent years, to solve problems that didn't necessarily need to be solved
there first.

Yes, we control core, but that doesn't mean it should be the first place we
look to make changes when brewing new ideas.