Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 11:20:00 -0800

> This is a heads-up that glibc malloc will likely remove support code for the
> Emacs unexec mechanism during the coming year.

Hi Florian,

I think you might understand our dismay at hearing this without any prior
notice, since Emacs does depend on the unexec mechanism, and we are currently
preparing a major upcoming release (25.1) that makes use of it.

Could we start a discussion on whether it's possible to still allow this
support in some form? You are asking us to make a rather significant change to
low-level code that has been functioning for a very long time. I'm not even
sure yet what lack of this support entails for existing and future Emacsen.

As we are both projects under the GNU banner, I hope we can find a middle
ground to further the GNU project, yet without such sudden and unexpected
costs. At the very least, allowing a longer timeline before removing unexec
functionality will permit us to research, prepare, and possibly suggest
counter-proposals to achieve the same overall objective.