Re: Next release from master

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 13:51:43 -0800

> We try to keep APIs backward-compatible anyway though. In a
> single-number, time-based release system, we'd just announce that we're
> deprecating some API, and some time later, actually do it.

Not quite the same, though, since people have to track down and read those
announcements to know what sort of impact release 29 will have on code that
was written again 26. It's fairly easy today to expect that something you
wrote for 24.x should be expected to work over the entire 24.x series; and
equally that you're likely to need to do some work to get it running it on
25.x.

A single increasing number, or a time value, removes all meaningful content
from version numbers. Having x.y at least communicates something about the
relative meanings of x and y.