Re: Merging the xwidget branch

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Merging the xwidget branch
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 22:52:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: address@hidden
>> Cc: address@hidden
>> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 08:28:58 +0100

>> > What kind of help do you need with the patch?  If it applies cleanly
>> > to the emacs-25 branch, just apply it, make sure you write a good
>> > commit log message that describes the changes, and push.
>> >
>> > If anything else is needed, please tell.
>>
>> I'm not familiar enough with the new commit log conventions.
>> I'm supposed to write a commit log entry rather than changelog entries
>> right?
>
> Yes.  But the conventions for formatting the commit log are almost the
> same as for ChangeLog entries.  So this shouldn't be very different
> from what you already knew.
>
>> * NEWS
>> ** Xwidgets : A new feature for embedding native widgets
>> inside Emacs buffers. If you have gtk3 and webkit-devel installed,
>> you can try the embedded webkit browser with m-x xwidget-webkit-browse-url.
>
> For a significant feature such as this one, the NEWS entry should
> mention the main variables/functions/commands provided by the feature.
>

>> * lisp/Changelog
>> #+BEGIN_SRC change-log
>> 2015-02-01  Grégoire Jadi  <address@hidden>
>>
>>      * xwidget.el: Improvements to the Xwidget feature.
>
> No need to say anything about a new file except that it's new.
>
>>         Various improvements to the Xwidget feature.
>>      * xwidgets.c:
>
> Likewise here.
>
>>         * emacsgtkfixed.c:
>>
>> 2015-02-01  Joakim Verona  <address@hidden>
>>
>>      New files for xwidgets:
>>      * xwidget.c, xwidget.h:
>>      Support for the new Xwidget feature.
>>      * window.c, Makefile.in, buffer.c, dispextern.h, dispnew.c, emacs.c:
>>      * emacsgtkfixed.c, emacsgtkfixed.h, keyboard.c, lisp.h, print.c:
>>      * termhooks.h, window.c, xdisp.c, xterm.c
>> #+END_SRC
>> * Changelog
>> #+BEGIN_SRC change-log
>> 2015-02-01  Joakim Verona  <address@hidden>
>>
>>      Support for the new Xwidget feature.
>>      * configure.ac:
>
> These, however, need to mention the functions where you made changes,
> at least.  (You can invoke "C-x 4 a" from a buffer that visits the
> diffs, which should avoid manual work to come up with the list of the
> functions.)
>
> Thanks.

How about this?

* NEWS
** Xwidgets : A new feature for embedding native widgets
inside Emacs buffers. If you have gtk3 and webkit-devel installed, you
can access the embedded webkit browser with m-x
xwidget-webkit-browse-url. This will open a new buffer with the
embedded browser. The buffer will have a new mode, xwidget-webkit
mode which is similar to image mode, which supports the webkit widget.

*** New functions for xwidget-webkit mode `xwidget-webkit-insert-string',
`xwidget-webkit-adjust-size-dispatch', `xwidget-webkit-back',
`xwidget-webkit-browse-url', `xwidget-webkit-reload',
`xwidget-webkit-current-url', `xwidget-webkit-scroll-backward',
`xwidget-webkit-scroll-forward', `xwidget-webkit-scroll-down',
`xwidget-webkit-scroll-up',

* commit message
        Support for the new Xwidget feature.

        * configure.ac:
        (HAVE_XWIDGETS, WIDGET_OBJ, EMACS_CONFIG_FEATURES):
        * xterm.c (x_draw_glyph_string, x_draw_bar_cursor):
        * xdisp.c:
        (handle_display_spec, handle_single_display_spec, push_it)
        (pop_it, set_iterator_to_next, dump_glyph)
        (calc_pixel_width_or_height, fill_xwidget_glyph_string)
        (BUILD_XWIDGET_GLYPH_STRING, BUILD_GLYPH_STRINGS)
        (produce_xwidget_glyph, x_produce_glyphs)
        (get_window_cursor_type):
        * window.c (Fdelete_window_internal):
        * termhooks.h (e):
        * print.c (print_object):
        * lisp.h (ptrdiff_t):
        * keyboard.c (kbd_buffer_get_event, make_lispy_event)
        (syms_of_keyboard):
        * emacs.c (main):
        * dispnew.c (update_window, scrolling_window):
        * dispextern.h (g, i):
        * Makefile.in (XWIDGETS_OBJ, WEBKIT_CFLAGS, WEBKIT_LIBS)
        (GIR_LIBS, ALL_CFLAGS, base_obj, LIBES):
        * keyboard.c (kbd_buffer_get_event):
        * emacsgtkfixed.c (emacs_fixed_gtk_widget_size_allocate)
        (emacs_fixed_class_init):

        New files for xwidgets:
        * xwidget.c, xwidget.h, xwidget.el:

    Co-authored-by:  Grégoire Jadi  <address@hidden>
    Various improvements to the Xwidget feature.
        * xwidgets.c:
    * emacsgtkfixed.c:
        * xwidget.el:

--