Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Removal of unexec support from glibc malloc
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 14:42:06 -0800

Wolfgang Jenkner wrote:
Isn't hybrid malloc the portable version of this?  A patch series for
this already exists (bug##22086), but Paul said that he wanted to get
rid of src/gmalloc.c even for allocations before dumping, IIUC.

Yes, that's what I'd like to do in the long run. Emacs shouldn't be in the malloc business.

If the hybrid malloc approach suffices to get Emacs to work with the new glibc API (and assuming Emacs doesn't already work with the new glibc API), then we could install that patch series into emacs-25 rather than trying to improve it for after Emacs 25, on the theory that people will want to build Emacs 25 in GNU/Linux environments with the new glibc and that this boosts the urgency of the hybrid malloc.

Florian, I understand that the new glibc implementation doesn't exist yet, so we can't test Emacs on it. However, is the new glibc API documented anywhere? Perhaps we could try to check via code inspection that Emacs works under GNU/Linux both with the current and the new glibc API, either now or with the hybrid malloc patches installed.