Re: xref-query-replace

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: xref-query-replace
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:11:36 -0800

>> Well, I wouldn't ask if I managed to come up with one. I don't see another
>> way to resolve the issue, however.
> Then I guess it will remain unresolved.  Too bad.

Having read this entire thread, I come away thinking that the UI for this
feature is much more complex than it needs to be. If it's not obvious to use,
and it's not obvious when it's used wrong, this must be corrected.

It's symbol lookup. It's a key feature that every IDE has had since the
beginning of time. It should work sanely in Emacs, and the fact that Eli has
had these experiences makes me think that the UI for xref is not ready for
release (by which I mean at this point: we don't document it or indicate that
it's present, until it's ready).