Re: xref-query-replace

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-query-replace
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 03:19:12 +0300

On 01/19/2016 03:11 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

Having read this entire thread, I come away thinking that the UI for this
feature is much more complex than it needs to be. If it's not obvious to use,
and it's not obvious when it's used wrong, this must be corrected.

Please come forward with suggestions.

It's symbol lookup. It's a key feature that every IDE has had since the
beginning of time.

What is?

The sentences you're quoting are referring to the semantic difference between an arbitrary xref output (where we allow references that resolve to a buffer position lazily, as well as which don't point exactly to the position where the e.g. function name starts, but to the beginning of the line) vs. xref output containing essentially filtered results of a Grep search, where the positions of the beginning and end of the "match" are known.

It should work sanely in Emacs, and the fact that Eli has
had these experiences makes me think that the UI for xref is not ready for
release (by which I mean at this point: we don't document it or indicate that
it's present, until it's ready).

UI for xref, or just xref-query-replace?

Anyway, you're welcome to do whatever you think is appropriate.