Re: xref-query-replace

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: xref-query-replace
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 03:35:35 +0300

On 01/19/2016 03:28 AM, John Wiegley wrote:

Why is Eli running into a command that has differing meaning based on which
XREF buffer he's in?  If it doesn't mean anything in one buffer as opposed to
the other, then it shouldn't be a command there.

Nothing's stopping us from using a different keymap dependent on the "kind" of xref buffer, but unless we name the "kinds" of xref buffers appropriately, and refer to those names in documentation, having xref-query-replace bound in one case and unbound in the other will only exacerbate the problem.

We could also make the different "kinds" look somewhat different (they do already, but perhaps not by enough), but that won't, by itself, be sufficient.