Re: find-file-project

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 09:15:12 +0300

On 01/08/2016 10:39 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

I'm not sure if you'd count filecache.el as "goes through
read-file-name", but it seems relevant.

Indeed, it does seem relevant. But it doesn't define a completion table in the standard way, so the question is moot.

As for "completion in outside tools", one "easyish" way would be to hook
right into completion--nth-completion.

I mostly meant the possibility in the Project API. But yes, to make it really useful, completion code needs to interface with external tools better as well. It's also one of the blockers for deprecating company-mode's own backends.

IOW instead of providing
ad-hoc implementations for try-completion, all-completions,
completion-boundaries, etc... you'd provide ad-hoc implementations of
minibuffer-try-completion and minibuffer-all-completions, which have the
advantage of allowing more flexibility in its output (e.g. the input
doesn't need to be a prefix of the output).

I think you mean completion-try-completion and completion-all-completions. How will this happen? Will these functions become generics? Do we expect the external tools to honor completion-styles values anyway somehow?

It would be great if you could file a bug and describe your current views on this subject there, so it's not buried in this discussion.