Re: Making `interactive' conditional

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Making `interactive' conditional
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 21:23:31 +0100

John Wiegley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> I'd still love to see a faster, more apropos M-x develop in ELPA, if anyone
>>> is interested in making that happen.
>
>> As Lars said, instrumentalization is required.
>
> A demonstrative implementation of this feature can be done without
> instrumentation. Instrumentation is the "right" way, but is not a necessary
> way. We shouldn't think core needs to be changed before we can try out a
> fancier M-x.

A demonstrative implementation can be done on a branch. This has the
advantage that you see the real implementation and hence you have a
solid basis for measuring its implications, maintenance-wise. And when
it receives the ok, a simple merge is enough, instead of having to
instrumentalize the Elisp sources.

Besides, an implementation on ELPA not only causes much more work, but
it is mostly invisible to the developers (see Lars' post).

[snip]