Re: find-file-project

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:58:18 -0500

> But why do we care about that? Each backend author could invent their own
> "dispatchable" completion table (with cl-defstruct),

That might break existing code which looks at minibuffer-completion-table.

> or just use
> (cons
>  'my-special-table
>  (lambda (string pred action)
>    ...))

(my-special-table toto) is a valid completion table.

> Ah, so they'll be kind of named closure subtypes.

Yes.  They'd be sub-types of `function'.

I kind of like the idea of adding such a functionality because it would
come in handy in stream.el and nadvice.el (could improve performance of
stream.el, and would clean up the hackish part of nadvice).

This use for completion-tables is not a good justification to introduce
the feature, OTOH.  We could use this feature there if it's available, tho.

        Stefan