Re: find-file-project

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: find-file-project
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 01:12:51 +0300

On 01/21/2016 12:58 AM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
But why do we care about that? Each backend author could invent their own
"dispatchable" completion table (with cl-defstruct),

That might break existing code which looks at minibuffer-completion-table.

Wouldn't that breakage be justifiable? It's a new kind of table, and we wouldn't want it to be used in a way it's not designed to.

We can just say, no, all-completions doesn't apply to it (it may only apply to the value returned by completion-all-completions).

(my-special-table toto) is a valid completion table.

Ok. Still, the output of operations on it will be obviously wrong, which would force the consumers to update their code.

Failing earlier would, of course, be preferable.