Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of the Xref package
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:02:39 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:46:03 +0300
>
> On 01/21/2016 10:00 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > But a reference includes a file name, doesn't it?  If so, why not
> > search through those files?
>
> My core objection is that "find regexp" is not a semantic query. Whereas
> all current xref queries are semantic (i.e. require language analysis
> for best results).
>
> So really want some clear justification, rather than "etags has command
> that does this", and "a user could want this". Without the
> justification, it would be hard to document the new command anyway.

Same justification as for Dired's command you just coded.  Except that
in this case, I want to search and/or replace in files that belong to
some coherent group that is not a directory hierarchy.

> >> How about xref-query-replace-in-matches?
> >
> > Fine with me.
>
> You'd agree that tags-query-replace doesn't require a direct replacement
> then?

I thought that was what xref-query-replace-in-matches will do.

> > It would be OK for xref-find-regexp to do the same.  Users who want
> > the project.el way of doing that can invoke the commands there.  (They
> > should probably be documented in the manual.)
>
> We should worry that a user might invoke xref-find-regexp while
> expecting it to behave like project-find-regexp.

I don't.

> Because in most other editors regexp search works more like the latter:
> it's either in the current file, or across the current project.

I'm not lobbying for supplanting the project.el command.  It has its
uses.