Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of the Xref package
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:09:04 +0200

> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:19:45 -0600
>
> > Cross-Referencing doesn't fit, IMO, not if you consider the user-level
> > functionality.
>
> "Cross-reference" was certainly the initial intent of the xref package.
>
> If that name no longer fits, it means there is functionality in
> xref that doesn't belong there.

I don't think the decisions on what does and doesn't belong should be
based on names.  FWIW, I don't see in xref.el anything that doesn't
belong there.

> What operations currently in xref don't fit "cross referencing"?

None, IMO.

> xref-query-replace
>
>     This operates on the current list of refs, so it makes sense in xref

"Reference" and "cross-reference" are two very different things.  I
use "reference" in that section, but even that is not always
appropriate.

> A short phrase descibing xref could be "operations to produce and
> operate on a list of cross-references", and "cross-reference" would be a
> reasonable section name.

They would both be wrong.

Anyway, the manual section that describes these commands is written,
and I don't intend investing any more significant effort on it for
this release.  It took enough of my resources already.  Let's move on.