Re: tags-loop-continue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: tags-loop-continue
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:36:50 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 23:15:49 +0300
>
> On 01/21/2016 10:56 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > Fine, then let's have the proper solution.  Having none in v25.1 is
> > not an option.
>
> You're welcome to continue this discussion in
> http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=20489.
>
> The problem looks bad, but it doesn't seem like it bothers a lot of
> people

That's because not a lot of people got exposed to the problem yet.
They will once v25.1 hits the street.

> and the pyramid of hacks in next-error-find-buffer does indicate
> that the current behavior is at least intentional.

I don't see how this is relevant.  I'm not saying the code doesn't
work as designed, I'm saying there's a deficiency in the collection of
commands that use next-error, which inconveniences users.

> Since the bug is old, I wouldn't call it a blocker for 25.1.

I disagree.  I think the problem is bad enough to have it solved now.

> As far as xref goes, we'll just have to make extra sure not to hide its
> buffer.

We should do that, indeed.  But we won't be able to prevent that in
100% of cases.