Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 f8208b6: Document the user-level features of the Xref package
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 13:16:18 -0500

On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 3:09 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> From: Stephen Leake <address@hidden>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 13:19:45 -0600
>
> > Cross-Referencing doesn't fit, IMO, not if you consider the user-level
> > functionality.
>
> "Cross-reference" was certainly the initial intent of the xref package.
>
> If that name no longer fits, it means there is functionality in
> xref that doesn't belong there.

I don't think the decisions on what does and doesn't belong should be
based on names.  FWIW, I don't see in xref.el anything that doesn't
belong there.

My sense is that xref (and tags before it) suggests existence of an
index and that xref- operations are then driven by that index.  Not
by taking entries out of that index and extracting file paths.  That is
the role of project.  Project supplies only a set of files.  After that
regex-based algorithms seem entirely expected.