Re: Next release from master

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Next release from master
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 00:17:07 -0500

> Irrespective of what the policy is, I think you will find most people
> that check out Emacs build from the master branch.

IIUC your proposal aims specifically at making sure that the focus of
work is always on "the same branch", so uses don't need to ask here
whether they should be using emacs-25 or master: we arrange our workflow
such that "master" corresponds to "the branch we currently want normal
users to test&debug".

I think this makes a lot of sense, but it basically requires always
having 2 active branches (master and next, currently corresponding to
emacs-25 and master), whereas until now we've always had longish periods
of time where we only have 1 active branch (which we call master but
would be called "next" in your proposal).

        Stefan