Re: A proposal for removing obsolete packages

From: Andrew Hyatt
Subject: Re: A proposal for removing obsolete packages
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 01:08:35 +0000

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 8:02 PM Andrew Hyatt <address@hidden> wrote:
Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> Here are the packages that are eligible for deletion in Emacs 25 (all
>> obsolete since before Emacs 24):
>>
>> options
>
> FWIW, wrt `options.el':
>
> 1. Command `list-options' lists all user options, together with their
> current values and their documentation.
>
> That still seems useful to me.  If it is not, we should tell users
> what is its specific replacement.
>
> I see only this in the doc string of `list-options':
>
>   "It is now better to use Customize instead."
>
> ("instead" is redundant here, BTW.)
>
> And this message is shown at the top of the `list-options' output:
>
>   "This facility is obsolete; we recommend using M-x customize instead."
>
> Really?  Just how do you "use Customize" to get a listing such as
> `list-options' provides?  How do you use `M-x customize' to get
> such a listing?
>
> I don't think you can get such a listing.  Certainly not with just
> `M-x customize'.  And `customize-apropos .*' doesn't give you the
> same thing (no complete doc strings, and not just options, etc.).
>
> If I'm right that there is no real substitute provided by Customize
> then I think that command `list-options' (renamed, if necessary)
> should be kept.  It could be moved to one of the `cus*.el' files,
> if you really plan to toss `options.el'.

I hadn't used options before, but I tried now.  I guess I don't see the
usefulness of the command.  What I thought you were described above
seems useful indeed - a list of everything customized (for those who
don't want to fiddle with elisp).  But list-options instead gives much,
much more than that in a buffer 38k lines long.  What is the use of
this, and why is it more useful than, say, customize-browse?

Actually, after a few minutes of looking at customize, I see there is both customize-saved (to customize everything the user has customized with customize) and customize-rogue (to customize everything else that is customized outside of customize).  These should, hopefully, solve your use-case.  Does it?