Re: [elpa] master 5b011ac 1/2: multishell - note that the tramp bug is o

From: Ken Manheimer
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 5b011ac 1/2: multishell - note that the tramp bug is on remote|sudo to homedir
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2016 21:04:29 -0500

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 5:36 PM, Ken Manheimer <address@hidden> wrote:
Hey, Michael.

When I run emacs with -Q, I'm unable to produce the problem! (It's not multishell, per se - I'm unable to produce it via multishell or separately from it, in an emacs started with -Q.) I'll remove the notes in multishell about it, and work on isolating what in my local setup is at fault.

Interestingly, the problem does happen if I start emacs with '-q', instead of '-Q' (I didn't even think about trying -Q until you suggested it). This suggests that the problem is in something my my site configuration, I gather. I'll try to uncover it, but it looks like that's going to be via a process of elimination. Unfortunately, I don't get a traceback, even with tramp-verbose=6, when the problem occurs, only "Selecting deleted buffer", and in *Messages*, "byte-code: Selecting deleted buffer". Nothing more happens if debug-on-error and debug-on-signal are set. This all suggests to me that something is swallowing the signal, yet still returning to top-level. I'd be interested to hear if there's common strategies for dealing with such a puzzle.

Thanks for following up, and steering me in the right direction. Sorry about misleading anyone, mistaking the problem as being in tramp rather than some combination. I'll let you know if there's anything interesting about what's actually responsible for the problem, when I uncover it, and suggestions about investigating the "Selecting deleted buffer" thing would be appreciated.

I was mistaken about being mistaken! (-: / )-:

It does fail in emacs -Q. I just needed to be sure that my recipe does *not* allow emacs to convert the destination in a way that fills in the homedir with an explicit path.

I submitted a bug report. The recipe, for the curious (using "example.com" for a host to which you have ssh and sudo access):
  • Start emacs with -Q
  • In any buffer (*scratch* is fine):
    M-Esc (setq default-directory "/ssh:example.com|sudo:address@hidden:")
  • In that same buffer, Esc-x shell
I'd love to know if there's a workaround that I could ship with multishell.

Ken

Ken

On Sat, Jan 23, 2016 at 4:18 AM, Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
Ken Manheimer <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Ken,

> branch: master
> commit 5b011ac2c545be3ca824862f48032c9a2980798b
> Author: Ken Manheimer <address@hidden>
> Commit: Ken Manheimer <address@hidden>
>
>     multishell - note that the tramp bug is on remote|sudo to homedir

Could you please write a bug report about this? I would like to check
what's up.

Please start with emacs -Q, and set tramp-verbose to 6. There will be a
Tramp debug buffer, which you might append to the bug report.

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.