Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 15:14:26 +0100

> Oh, and there's a getaddrinfo_a now in glibc?  I didn't know that...
> Then what are all these other libraries doing?
>
> I'll read the manpage.

getaddrinfo_a looks quite straightforward.  There are two modes: We can
either get a signal back once we get a response, or we can poll to see
whether there's any response.  I guess polling would fit quite well with
the Emacs event loop?  That would be somewhere in
wait_reading_process_output, I guess.

It would then call gai_error on all sockets that are in the "resolving"
state to determine whether there's a response (positive, negative,
timeout) or not, and either continue the connection process, or mark the
process as dead.