Re: emacs-25 ef33bc7: Spelling and grammar fixes

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: emacs-25 ef33bc7: Spelling and grammar fixes
Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2016 16:19:25 -0800

Michael Albinus wrote:
I disagree. Samba does not necessary run on server machines only, it
runs also on desktop machines. And there's also MS Windows; most
machines equipped with this are not servers :-) "... to any host ..."
seems to be proper wording to me.

In networking a "host" can be a client or a server or something else. For smbclient to work, it must connect to an SMB server; not any SMB host will do. Admittedly this technical interpretation may not be familiar to non-experts so I installed the attached patch to try to clarify things. While I was at it, this patch streamlines away some old cruft about MS Windows NT servers, CIFS, and the like, as it's 2016 now and not 2006.

Furtheron, Samba does not run only on GNU/Linux. I use it myself on
HP-UX machines, and I connect Tramp to Samba running there. That's why
I've used neutral "Unixes".

The word "Unixes" feels funny, at least to this native English speaker. (It's not in my English spelling dictionary, which is how I found the word in the first place.) And nowadays "Unix" is not neutral: it is a specific implementation of the POSIX API and is in competition with GNU. The attached patch tries to dodge the issue entirely, as the main point here is Samba and not the operating system it's running on.

I would like to thank you for all other corrections to the
Tramp manual!

You're welcome. I wish I had more time to help further. Perhaps some day I will.