Re: To non-native English writers: expunging the solecism "This allows t

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: To non-native English writers: expunging the solecism "This allows to do something."
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 11:27:30 +0600

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 10:55 PM, Rostislav Svoboda
<address@hidden> wrote:

> For Slavic language natives like me and Marcin, constructions like
> "This allows to do something" work perfectly well.
> Sorry guys :)
> We simply don't find it to be that important to specify who or what
> will do things. You know... lazy evaluation at it's best :)

Yes, and it may be a reason we can agree that something should be done
and never get around to actually doing it, because everybody assumes
someone else will.

English has grammar that enforces[1] specification of the doer — let’s
not throw away its benefits.

[1]: would enforce, given a good linter

> That's an uphill struggle, Alan :) Besides, believe me there's nothing
> to fear about :) Free your mind! :)

I, for one, welcome our grammar nazi overlords. Alan, please continue
to educate us about proper use of English when occasion arises.