Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 19:55:49 +0900

> 2016/01/26 18:39、Richard Stallman <address@hidden> のメール:
>
> I want a system that lets me choose them by seeing them on the screen.
> I want to specify a language or script and see all its characters.
>
> For instance, if I enter 'turkish' it should show me all the
> characters used in Turkish.  Then I could pick the dotless i from the
> buffer.
>
> Would someone please implement this?

There is an input system imported from smartphones that is being implemented on
some desktop OSes.

In my case it is OSX and it works like this: you choose a keyboard layout and
then by pressing a key you know can have variants for 2 secs the list of
variants is displayed along with a number under them. You can either use the
arrows to select and enter the character or hit the corresponding number.

I just selected the Turkish qwerty layout and when I hit g for 2 secs I get ğ
as a possibility. When I am in the US layout I don't get this possibility. In
US I get èéêëēėę for e, ÿ for y, ûüùúū for u (and similar options of other
vowels), I also get ßśš for s. If I do the same with a capital letter (holding
Shift + the letter) I get all the possible capital letters for the selected
letter, for ex. S offers ŚŠ but no capital ß.

That's a very convenient way to visually check and select characters.

Jean-Christophe Helary