Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Tianxiang Xiong
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 17:08:29 +0000 (UTC)

Richard Stallman <rms <at> gnu.org> writes:

> Completion schemes can make it easier to enter long names that you
> know.  They are no use for me in entering unusual characters, because
> I don't know their names.
>
> I want a system that lets me choose them by seeing them on the screen.
> I want to specify a language or script and see all its characters.
>
> For instance, if I enter 'turkish' it should show me all the
> characters used in Turkish.  Then I could pick the dotless i from the
> buffer.
>
> Would someone please implement this?

It seems that what Richard wants is something like Microsoft Word's
character insertion modal window. See
http://wordfaqs.mvps.org/images/SpecChars2.gif for an example.

You select a subset of characters in a character set (e.g. Greek
letters) and are shown a modal window with visual representations of all
the characters. You can then choose a character to insert into the
document.

In Emacs, of course, we don't have modal windows, but we can have
buffers that display the characters line-by-line.