Re: builds are getting slower?

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: builds are getting slower?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 20:15:21 +0000

On 26 January 2016 at 18:52, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
> Artur Malabarba wrote:
>
>>> Then I guess I'll change it to use a fixed filename, probably
>>> .dir-locals-2.el' or.dir-locals-user.el'.
>>
>> Done.
>
> I'm afraid this has made no difference to the times I measure.
> I checked that if I apply a diff to revert back to a single dir-locals
> file, the times do indeed fall back to what they were originally.

I'm very surprised at this. The emacs sources don't even have a
.dir-locals-2.el. So we're not visiting an extra file or reading extra
lisp, we're just checking for the existence of this file (exactly once
for each time we would check the existence of .dir-locals.el anyway).
Maybe the slowness is not really where I expected (filesystem
interaction), but is perhaps somewhere else.

> If no-one else other than me notices this, perhaps you should forget
> about it. (Again, these are the times for non-parallel debug bootstrap
> builds.)

I don't notice it because I build infrequently and never pay attention
while building, so I really don't count.

> As a final comment, if the aim is just to override an existing
> dir-locals files without modifying it, this can be done by direct
> application of dir-locals-set-class-variables and
> dir-locals-set-directory-class. The issue there is that the UI isn't as
> convenient, and it completely replaces any dir-locals file rather than
> appending+overriding it. But those things could presumably be improved.

I can revert this feature if people prefer. But I quite like the
convenience (and ease-of-use) of writing a second .dir-locals, and the
merge (appending+overriding) helps as well.
We can also just revert it from the release branch for the moment, and
postpone it until emacs 26 while we settle on a preferred
interface/implementation.