Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Florian Weimer
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2016 23:05:38 +0100

On 01/23/2016 02:50 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> 2) Use one of the newer async C resolver libraries.  This would not be
> available on all platforms, and would be Yet Another Dependency which
> I'm sure everybody would rather that we avoid.

The internal NSS (Name Service Switch) API is not asynchronous, so a
fully backwards-compatible asynchronous name resolution library simply
cannot exist.  The so-called asynchronous getaddrinfo variant just uses
threads under the covers, too.

You could use threads or a co-process, though.  It's not too hard to
implement as long as you don't have to care about head-of-line blocking.
 You could even a subshell invoking “getent ahosts” and parse the result.

Florian