Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 bc0903d: C-u C-x = example doc fix

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] emacs-25 bc0903d: C-u C-x = example doc fix
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 18:08:58 +0000

> if other people were curious about that 'PfEd' they might appreciate the info.

I was certainly happy to learn about that. Thanks for digging up that info.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 12:45 PM Paul Eggert <address@hidden> wrote:
On 01/27/2016 08:35 AM, Kaushal Modi wrote:
> no "PfEd".

I looked into it a bit. PfEd is the foundry name. "PfEd" is short for
"PfaEdit", the former name of FontForge. The string "PfEd" appears in
the binary file /usr/share/fonts/dejavu/DejaVuSansMono.ttf and comes
from the line "OS2Vendor: 'PfEd'" in
dejavu-fonts-2.35/src/DejaVuSansMono.sfd. Perhaps other font generators,
or older versions of FontForge, or older versions of this font, don't
fill in the foundry field, which would explain why you're seeing
"unknown" rather than "PfEd". See:

http://sourceforge.net/p/fontforge/git/ci/master/tree/fontforge/PfEd.h
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dejavu-fonts/dejavu-fonts/master/src/DejaVuSansMono.sfd

I doubt whether this level of trivia needs to be in the manual, but
figured that if other people were curious about that 'PfEd' they might
appreciate the info.