Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 14:22:02 -0600

I've just added these settings to my ~/.gitconfig.  Based on some recent
reports, it might be a good idea for all of us to do the same:

  [transfer]
          fsckObjects = true
  [fetch]
          fsckObjects = true
  [receive]
          fsckObjects = true

Although git communicates object ID by content-addressable hashes (thus in
theory ensuring integrity), git apparently doesn't always bother to actually
*check* the hashes, e.g., when receiving objects from remote repositories.
Enabling the above settings causes git to notice if someone ships you a bogus
object, which seems like, er, a win.  You might be worried about a slowdown in
some git operations, since content would now be checked against a hash, but
according to those who've enabled the settings there's no noticeable slowdown
in practice.

So, based on the discussion in the thread below, there are good reasons for
everyone to enable these settings, and no reason not to.  (I was kind of
surprised they weren't turned on by default in git, actually.)

See this post & thread for more details: