Re: About git commits

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: About git commits
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 12:49:36 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> > From: Bill Wohler <address@hidden>
> > Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2016 11:57:14 -0800
> >
> > Nicolas Petton <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > Hi guys,
> > >
> > > I'm preparing the pretest, and there are quite a few git commit messages
> > > that refer to files without their path, I fixed like 50 of them last
> > > week already, but there are more entries to be fixed.
> >
> > Isn't that going to screw up everybody's history?
>
> How can it screw up history?  History is immutable.

No, it is not.

Log messages are fixed using git rebase -i, which rewrites all of the
commits from the changed commit to HEAD.

See https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Tools-Rewriting-History

See also the section RECOVERING FROM UPSTREAM REBASE in the git rebase
man page. If Nicolas used rebase on commits that had already been
pushed, all of us will likely have to follow these instructions, or
clone a new repository if we can.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/