Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 17:01:42 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> Quoting Paul Eggert <address@hidden> out of order:
>>I installed the attached patch to try to automate this; I think
>>this'll be more effective.
>
> *nod* That has autogen.sh install the setting in the
> repository-specific git config. That's a good a companion to also
> including the advice in admin/notes/git-workflow and
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs, but by itself it's not
> enough, I think. It only takes effect after the user runs autogen.sh,
> so she might have pulled an arbitrary number of times before the
> setting gets put in place by autogen.sh.

Why is the Emacs build process underhandedly changing my git
configuration? How doing that improves or benefits the Emacs project?

If those config settings are so good, why don't you spend your energies
on convincing the git maintainers about enabling them by default instead
of pretending that you know better than your users and the git
maintainers themselves?

The Emacs build process has no bussiness on sneaking config changes that
affects how tools work on my system, unless those config changes are
strictly required for the proper functioning of the development process,
and even then a prominent notice should be given while making the config
changes, preferably asking for confirmation.