Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 08:25:47 -0500

> What problems do you see with stopping/starting threads in Emacs (that
> do no Lisp-related stuff)?

None, as long as the Emacs build notices that we're using threads.

> I'm assuming there are plenty of libraries that Emacs uses that
> already does this behind Emacs' back,

Indeed.  If you built with Gtk you'll use threads, and IIRC the same
holds for dbus and a few other libraries commonly linked with Emacs.

> and we don't seem to care...

Actually, we do, but AFAIK we don't need to know about each and every
thread, we just need to know that threading is used (IIRC, the issues we
need to handle have to do with signal delivery, making sure we run them
in the main Emacs/Elisp thread).

        Stefan