Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 16:49:01 +0100

Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

[snip]

>> How those settings benefit Emacs development?
>
> Assuming you're asking about the recent change, there is some
> justification for it in the first part of this email.

That justification relies purely on personal preferences.

Have you asked the git maintainers why the check is not activated by
default? I mean, it look like it does a good thing, if you read the
description. So why it is not activated by default? Maybe it has some
drawbacks. Anyone cared about that possibility, apart from the "I
activated it and so far, so good" testimony from *one* individual?

Anyways, what we have here is two Emacs hackers (one, at this point)
which use their commit powers for setting tool preferences on other's
repos just because "it seems a good thing". Not because the setting is
required by the Emacs development process, neither because it helps
hackers on doing their chores. Someone puts a message on a forum and
bam! two days later the Emacs build process is changed to sneak the
setting on everyone's repo, as if it fixed some super-critical problem.
That's worrying.

What's even more disturbing is that those settings are still there, no
matter the disapproval of other Emacs hackers, including the head
maintainer. And at this point the setting was already forcefully
installed on who-knows-many Emacs clones, and growing. Let's hope it
doesn't backfire.