Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Recommend these .gitconfig settings for git integrity.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2016 11:20:20 +1100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree, but there's a clear majority (at least in this thread, which
> is all the information we have) in opposition to the setting being
> placed by autogen.sh, even with chatter.  I think the right thing to
> do would be to revert it now.

Well, that may be because people who think that it's a sensible to thing
to don't really care that much.  :-)

I don't see any reason why Emacs shouldn't come with sensible defaults
for Emacs development.  We provide a .gdbinit file that makes debugging
more pleasant.  We determine what gcc parameters we should use by
default, even if some developers like other parameters.  Etc etc etc.

Why is git different?  Is there something magical and mystical about git
that means that every developer should and must type these incantations
by hand?

There's this tendency amongst programmers to provide a blank framework
that has to be configured before you start using it, because cleanliness
etc.  This rant is somewhat appropriate here, I think:

http://robotlolita.me/2016/01/09/no-i-dont-want-to-configure-your-app.html

Emacs is pretty opinionated, and I think Emacs can continue to opine,
even when it comes to sacred stuff like git.