Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 11:36:04 -0500

On 02/04/2016 10:59 AM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
> After seeing the case I mentioned (`n' matching `ñ' in
> Spanish text) it is obvious that the feature is not ready for prime
> time.

This is interesting. I guess it boils down to whether you're trying to avoid
false positives or false negatives. For me the strength of this feature is that
it lets me find virtually anything using an dumb keyboard (one without easy
access to accents); I don't care too much about false positives (that is, I
don't mind if ‘n’ finds ‘ñ’). In that sense, it doesn't matter if letters "are
different"; all that matters is whether they look different. I imagine that's
why the Unicode standard defined things that way. It seems this behavior is
consistent with that of most online search engines (I tried Google, Bing, and
DuckDuckGo; all return accented matches for unaccented keywords).

I'm wary of smart solutions based on locale or buffer language. It's not
uncommon to be writing a single document in multiple languages; especially if
names are involved. Plus, it's not obvious that a single set of settings is
enough for each locale. For example, one could argue that folding accents makes
no sense in French: ‘supprimé’ means ‘removed’, but ‘supprime’ means ‘removes’.
Yet it is not uncommon for people to write the latter for the former,
especially when using a dumb keyboard.

Clément.