Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Clément Pit--Claudel
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 12:31:48 -0500

On 02/04/2016 12:07 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
>> Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 16:59:18 +0100
>>
>> After seeing the case I mentioned (`n' matching `ñ' in Spanish text)
>> it is obvious that the feature is not ready for prime time.
>
> The feature was _designed_ to do this, so it simply works as designed.
> It can be turned off if you don't like the results, but saying it
> isn't ready based on that is IMO inaccurate, if not incorrect.

I agree. Maybe we're just discussing two different features?

* One is unicode standard character folding; it's implemented, it works as
designed, it has very clear semantics based on a recognized standard, but we're
not sure if it should be enabled by default (I'd vote yes).

The other is language-dependent character folding; it isn't implemented (though
some people think it could reuse some of the architecture used for unicode
folding), it doesn't have clear semantics (it's a matter of user-preference,
though we might be able to come up with good defaults), and many people would
love such a feature.

Clément.