Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2016 19:45:34 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2016 09:36:47 -0800
>
> On 02/04/2016 08:54 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Emacs is a multilingual environment, so any assumption that
> > the main language in every buffer, or even in most buffers, is likely
> > to be the locale's language will misfire.
>
> True, but although Emacs is designed to be language-agnostic when
> handling buffer text, that doesn't mean it should be designed to be
> language-agnostic when handling user input.

The user input in this case is a search string.  A search string is
likely to use the language of the text being searched, not the
language of the user's locale.  E.g., when I search Cyrillic text, I
will hardly ever use Hebrew, my locale language.

> As an English-speaker when I search Swedish texts by hand, I
> normally want to use English-like rules because English is what I
> know and I can't really read the Swedish anyway.

I'm not sure this is the use case we should cater to.  We should
instead cater to users who search text they _can_ read.

> In English we tend to consider accents unimportant when searching

Amazingly enough, Unicode advises the same.