Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Adrian . B . Robert
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 10:08:25 +0200

Teemu Likonen <address@hidden> writes:

> Dirk-Jan C. Binnema [2016-02-04 13:57:36+02] wrote:
>
>> Regardless, for the purpose of searching, my personal preference would
>> be to make folding rather inclusive; I don't really care about the
>> exact rules languages have come up for what letters are considered
>> "the same", I just care for what I, as a user, would find the easiest
>> to match.

> I think that just a global setting and easy switch like M-s <something>
> in isearch prompt is enough. I fear that any locale or language based
> magic or intelligence is over-engineering and may cause annoying
> surprises. Unexpected intelligence can be harmful too.

+1

I sense a strong enmity between the perfect and the good here.
"Dumb" (unicode-equivalence-based) character folding is a
a godsend for searching through texts when using the "wrong"
keyboard layout, for whatever reason.  It also matches expectations
from using search engines, etc..  And exact matching can handle the
need for precision.  Using default=exact with an easy global option
for switching to unicode-folding will be a great step forward.