Re: Disappearance of hi-lock bindings from global key map.

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Disappearance of hi-lock bindings from global key map.
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 07:50:00 -0500

I might not be understanding this correctly.... But based on the below code, wouldn't we first need to do (require 'hi-lock) for the C-x w bindings to work?

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lisp/hi-lock.el?h=emacs-25

Coincidentally, currently a parallel discussion is going on in another emacs-devel thread if we should remove the C-x w prefix map associated to hi-lock. Please check out that thread for the reasoning behind it.

--
Kaushal Modi

On Feb 5, 2016 6:34 AM, "Alan Mackenzie" <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello, Eli.

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 01:19:13PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 5 Feb 2016 10:37:44 +0000
> > From: Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden>
> >
> > The traditional key bindings for hi-lock commands, beginning C-x w, have
> > disappeared from the 25.1 global key map.  They have been replaced by
> > bindings beginning M-s h.

> That's not what I see here: when I turn on hi-lock-mode, the "C-x w"
> bindings are shown in the output of "C-h b".

> What exactly do you see that led you to the above conclusion?

emacs -Q

C-x w  (intending C-x w C-h) responds "C-x w is undefined".

On the other hand,
M-s h C-h displays the bindings in *Help*.

That led me to believe the C-x h bindings had been removed.  It would
appear there's a difference between how the C-x w bindings are set and
how the M-s h bindings are set.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).