Re: Character folding in the pretest

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2016 22:12:34 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Folding has nothing to do with respecting the alphabet.  A and a are
> not the same letters, either, and have distinct positions within the
> English alphabet,

This is big news to me. AFAIK `A' and `a' are the same letter, one in
uppercase form and the other in lowercase form. The English alphabet
consists on 26 letters. This is what I learned many years ago, but it
seems that it is all wrong.

In Spanish, `A' and `a' are the same letter. `á' and `a' are also the
same letter. `n' and `ñ' are not the same letter.

> and yet it is customary to have case folded during searching, and
> Emacs does that by default.

Maybe you are confusing C with English :-)

Seriously, if you want a feature for the people who think on terms of
encodings, that's fine, but please keep in mind that most people see
text as text, the same thing they can write with a pencil, not series of
bytes on Unicode, ASCII or whatever.