Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 16:30:54 +0200

> From: Helmut Eller <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2016 14:59:15 +0100
>
> > Also, I think unassigned codepoints should not be shown, and the same
> > for Surrogates and Private-Area codepoints.  They will never yield
> > anything but those rectangles with a codepoint in hex inside them.
>
> Not sure about this.  E.g. if somebody want to see an Unicode block he
> may well want to see the range defined by the standard.  I also think
> that some fonts do assign glyphs in private-use areas.  A part of the
> high surrogates seems to be available for private-use as well.

If those use cases exist, they are rare.  So a customizable option,
off by default, would be useful, I think.

> > Finally, I think a command to insert the character at point into
> > another buffer would be a good addition.
>
> It's not so easy to know where the charactor should be inserted.

I thought about prompting for it.  It's simple, and gets the job done.

> So my thinking is that the usual commands for copying a character to the
> kill ring or copy&pasting it with the mouse is sufficient.

Yes, but if the prompt for the buffer offers the MRU buffer as the
default, all one needs is type RET RET (the first one to invoke the
command, the second one to accept the default buffer), which is faster
and more efficient, I think.