Re: Customizing universal-argument (C-u), instead of hardcoding 4?

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Customizing universal-argument (C-u), instead of hardcoding 4?
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 17:36:24 -0500

> It's set in simple.el, and there are various places in the code that expect
> it to be 4 as well. I haven't looked deeply into how hard it would be to
> change, because I first wanted to ask here if a) this has been considered,
> and b) if anyone would be opposed to customizability & if so why. But here's
> what I found in a quick look at the code:

I'll leave it to others to answer (a).

As for (b), I am opposed to the change. There is too much expectation right
now that it has the value 4, including code that does not live in the Emacs or
GNU ELPA repositories.

If your main reason is to make C-u movement customizable, how about rebinding
C-u to "my-universal-argument"?