Re: Asynchronous DNS

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Asynchronous DNS
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 12:55:06 +1100

Alain Schneble <address@hidden> writes:

> Agreed.  A name reflecting more the level of "asynchronicity" would be a
> better choice and less misleading, I think.

:nowait 'immediate has a nice ring to it...

> But as said, even better would be a solution where this distinction is
> not necessary at all, IMHO.  But you tried it out and the only feasible
> approach I see would be what Eli Zaretskii proposed, IIUC, to block and
> synchronously wait for DNS resolve completion and socket initialization
> in all the functions requiring a Lisp process having "valid" infd and/or
> outfd set.  OTOH, that sounds quite invasive to those functions, doesn't
> it?

It would be better if the application code didn't have to care, but that
means that either all those functions will have to block (getting us
back to square one, basically), or they'll have to set up a queue of
pending actions to be taken, which I think is rather too ambitious.