Re: Would it be ok to have a link to emacsforosx.com on the emacs homepa

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: Would it be ok to have a link to emacsforosx.com on the emacs homepage?
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 08:14:42 +1100

Hi Nico,

I think you need to be vary careful about putting that link in as it gives the impression it is the preferred installation mechanism for emacs under OSX. If we add that link, then you probably need to also add the homebrew page and what about macports? Should probably be vary clear that the links are just links without any recommendations etc.

Personally, I prefer homebrew over emacsforosx.com as it just does a build from git where emacsforosx.com tries to be a little more 'clever' and can easily fall into the same pitfalls as many 'canned' emacs configurations - often OK at first, but then when you try to customize or you run into a problem, everything becomes troublesome and your not sure where to get help.