RE: Character folding in the pretest

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Character folding in the pretest
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2016 16:04:29 -0800 (PST)

> > Drew is right: if this is not configurable by users, it might end up
> > more annoying than helping.
>
> It's already configurable, always have been.  This is Emacs, right?

What I suggested was introducing easy, flexible, powerful ways to
customize/configure.  I gave more specifics, including ability to
(easily) define multiple equivalence classes, switch among them,
combine them in various ways, associate them with given modes, etc.

"This is Emacs" and "this is Lisp", therefore you can do nearly
anything is not what I had in mind.

FWIW, I suggested these things not because otherwise "it might end
up more annoying than helping".  It's already a useful feature.

But it can and should become more useful still.  There's no hurry,
but there's also no harm in thinking about what ways a user might
interact with such possible additional features.