Gnus cleanup

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Gnus cleanup
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 15:13:26 +1100

I'm starting to do the Gnus de-compat cleanup now, I think.  Removing
the compat calls is easy enough, but should I also remove the compat
functions themselves?

For instance:

  (defalias 'gnus-window-inside-pixel-edges
    (if (fboundp 'window-inside-pixel-edges)
        'window-inside-pixel-edges
      'window-pixel-edges))

In Emacs, we usually mark functions as obsolete for a few years before
removing them, but I kinda feel like it's rather unlikely that there
will be any other usages of gnus-window-inside-pixel-edges after I clean
up the Gnus sources.

So I could just remove the compat function to.  But it is theoretically
feasible that somebody out there are calling
gnus-window-inside-pixel-edges in their own code.

(gnus-window-inside-pixel-edges is just one example.  There's like a
hundred of these...)

So...  just mark the compat functions as obsolete, or nuke them?