RE: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:48:34 -0800 (PST)

> Char folding is primarily about being able to easily search for
> characters that you can't easily type. It also has secondary uses,
> like searching when you're not even sure which character you want to
> search for, but I'm focusing on the first.

I would say that it is primarily about searching for *any of a
given set of characters*.  It has nothing to do, necessarily, with
the difficulty of typing certain characters, and it has nothing to
do, necessarily, with not knowing which characters you want to
search for.

It's simply about wanting to treat a given set of chars as
equivalent for search purposes.  How you input a search pattern
(typing, pasting) is only one consideration, for operation.

> the point is that we should care about the
> language that the user can _type_ in, NOT the language that they
> happen to be _reading_ now nor the language that they happen to
> _know_.

Typing is only one consideration when defining default behavior.
It is of course a reasonable thing to consider.