Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: On language-dependent defaults for character-folding
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 19:58:18 +0200

> From: Artur Malabarba <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 17:26:32 +0000
>
> I don't know if it's possible to figure out the language of the user's
> keyboard layout.

It's possible on some systems (maybe on all of them).  But it isn't
TRT, IMO, because one can use input methods external to Emacs, which
makes this problem unsolvable, AFAIU.

I think our energy will be much better spent by preparing a data base
of preferences by various groups of users, including (but not limited
to) something that can be vaguely called "typical user of language X",
for several values of X.  I think we can come up with other types of
groups as well.

Thanks.