Re: Entering Unicode characters

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: Entering Unicode characters
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 12:16:20 +1100

I suggested that it would be good to come up with short ASCII visual representations of SOME of these Unicode characters _for ubb-browse_.

You seem to be trying to prove we can't do this for ALL the Unicode characters, but I never said we could do them all. Doing it for just some characters will be useful.

What i was trying to say was that, setting aside the difficulty of create an ASCII representation for /all/ Unicode codepoints, i could foresee a lot of energy being sunk into debates over the 'best' representation for even /some/ of the codepoints. You wrote:

Just pick one. Since the representation will be used only in this one feature, the choice is not crucial.

i tend to agree, but my experience with these sort of situations suggests that there will be a number of people feeling that the colour of the bikeshed /is/ a crucial matter. :-) But i guess we'll see what happens!

Alexis.